Support My Mission Here!

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Irish Getaway

     Last week was LCC's Fall Break and in order to take full advantage of the time off my friend Ella and I found the cheapest flight offered that week and it just happened to be to Dublin! I have been working without break since about August so I was really looking forward to some time away to clear my head, see God's beauty, and learn about Irish culture! Those were really my only requirements for this trip, otherwise I had no big expectations and that turned out great! With no high goals for the trip I was able to have the best and most spontaneous experiences. I love visiting Western Europe because it always feels a bit like home. Dublin is a beautiful city full of rich culture and fascinating history. Ella and I went to some tourist-y places as well as some local places, and even made some Irish friends! We took free walking tours of the city and a day trip out into the countryside of Wicklow to see Glendalough an ancient monastic site, and Powerscourt a large estate house with beautiful gardens. 

    Dublin is full of creativity and that really inspired me. I was reminded of my creative side, and realized that I have been neglecting it lately. I was inspired to incorporate more creativity into my life after this visit. My daily work is more relational and administrative so I am working now on figuring out how I can schedule some life-giving art time into my daily routine. 


It is always surprising to me how much I miss Starbucks, I always make sure to get some chai when I find one!

The River Liffey



 Temple Bar District: 















Trinity College:





Glendalough Monastic Site:




















 Powers Court Estate:









With our favorite tour guide




The Famine Memorial

3 comments:

  1. Did you see the Book of Kells while you were at Trinity College? If you didn't, I really recommend doing it the next time you make it to Dublin. Manuscripts like it are how Christianity survived the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the various barbarian groups ravaging Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! It was incredible :) The detail and dedication were so inspiring.

      Delete
    2. Consider that they were copied and illustrated by monks sitting tiny straw huts. Having stood in one at a cultural park in Wexford made it all the more amazing.

      Delete