Support My Mission Here!

Monday, September 8, 2014

She Reads Truth.


        During my first week in Lithuania I realized that I needed a new daily devotional, so I checked out "She Reads Truth" off of a friends recommendation. I started with a series called "What is the Bible" and have more recently been following a study called, "Sermon on the Mount."

The Sermon on the Mount is one that I have heard many times before, but it seems that I always need to hear it one more time. Going through a different point of the lesson everyday has been a great change of pace since it allows me to really focus on each topic for a whole day at a time. I decided to write about this particular situation because I feel that God is speaking directly to me through this experience. Everyday when I wake up and open this app/devotional I read EXACTLY what I needed to hear that day, and it has been happening EVERYDAY! I find it so amazing that a sermon gave hundreds of years ago is so extremely relevant to me today. Here are some of the things I have been learning and receiving.

Day 1: "Come follow me, and I will send you out to fish for people." 

These words of Jesus reminded me that He SENDS people places to do His work, but He always goes along for the journey. I really needed this reminded to give me hope and strength that I was in Lithuania for His purpose, and not my own.

Day 2: "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of their righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." 

All of these were encouragement's of the work that I am doing at LCC. I was called and given permission to be gentle in my approach to telling people about the Lord and living a life that points to Him. I was called to be a peacemaker, even when people did persecute me for my faith. I am learning for the first time in my life to defend my faith and that is a humbling and stretching task.

Day 3: "You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on a stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house."

This was such an encouragement to let the light of the Lord within me shine in all situations in my life, no matter who I was talking to, or what they believed or didn't believe. I was placed here to shine for others.

Day: 4 "For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

I am servant of the most high King and I am only called to do what He tells me. He will handle the world, I don't have to. Anytime I think that I am responsible for things too big for me I have to remember this verse and submit to my Heavenly Father.

Day 5: "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgement." 

Moving to a new country for an extended about of time can come with many frustrations and I have to admit that I have experienced a few moments of hurt and anger myself. This verse reminded me to let it go and start praying for healing within myself.

Day 6: "But I say, "Love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!"

This goes very well with the previous day. We will always encounter people and situations that make us sad or unhappy. Through my situations I have learned to pray for those who have hurt me and I am working on the process of forgiveness.

Day 7: "Let what you say be simply "Yes" or "No" anything more than this comes form evil."

I have discovered that this was a problem for me. In college I would always tell people that I would love to do something, or that I "might be able to make it" to an event when I was really letting them down easy because I had too much on my plate. I have had to learn quickly here at LCC to be straight forward with my intentions because that is a lot more reliable and respectable than trying to spare every one's feelings with false promises.

Day 8: " But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to the Father who is in secret."

I need to make space in my daily life to be alone with the Lord in private and be available to listen to His words.

Day 9:  " Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy"

I have had to take this command seriously. Since I am living a much simpler life than I am used to I have had to go without a lot of things I thought I NEEDED before. I cannot collect tons of home decorations to fill up my apartment with. I can't go grocery shopping for just any food I feel like that day. And I am learning to reuse my wardrobe many times a week. There is a lot of learning going on here.

Day 10: "And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?"

There are so many unknowns in my life, and in my future right now that I have to actively remind myself not to be anxious on the daily. I do not want to insult God by worrying about the beautiful plan He has already written for my life.

Day 11: "Why do you see the speck that is in your brothers eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?"

"There are no little sins, for there is no little God to sin against." I do not have the authority to judge anyone, that is only God's job and I need to give it back to Him.

Day 12: "How much for will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask of Him!"

I have needed a lot of help recently, help that I am not used to asking for. In my need I forgot to go to God first, but once I did, once I asked Him for the help I needed He delivered right away in exactly the way I needed Him to. If I needed a donation and friend would email and ask how my funds were doing, when I needed encouragement He put just the right person in my path. He CAN HEAR YOU!




No comments:

Post a Comment