Support My Mission Here!

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Support.

   The word support has developed a whole new meaning to me in the last 3 months. Living on support is a very scary thing sometimes but I have found that it opens doors for God to work in amazing ways that leave me stunned. Through some reflection I have realized that when I was receiving paychecks it never felt like it was enough. Now that I am living off a fifth of what I was then, I can clearly see that am able to live simply and be just as happy, if not happier.

I love to feed people and provide snacks for the meetings and bible studies I lead, but sometimes that makes my overall budget tight. When I find myself stressing about my grocery budget one week, I run to God in prayer and He always delivers. Sometimes that means I get an unexpected donation, or someone invites me over for dinner. I have never gone hungry, He will always take care of me. He is building deeper trust in me through this new lifestyle.

The people that have been called to support me this year have done just that. They have shown me God's faithfulness when I was doubting or scared. By donating their hard earned finances they are telling me that they trust, and believe in the work that I am doing here. They are stepping into the roll of my employers, in my job of doing God's work daily. Often I come home from a busy days work and wish that I could have each of my supporters see exactly what I do here. I want them to know that I am working hard, and that their funds are keeping me healthy, and happy here. I do my best to update my blog with stories of what I am doing, what I am learning, and who I am meeting. The most incredible part is that my supporters don't even question my work here. They are so faithful. God has called them to give, and they have done so with no strings attached, no demands, or contingencies. I hope to learn from these amazing examples of faith and trust.

Before I embarked on this journey I was in a time of dedicated fundraising for this school year. This was a time where I experienced extreme doubt and fear. I have been on a few short term missions before and was getting tired of asking people for money. Little did I know that the Lord had plans to incorporate support based living into my life for a much longer time than I ever thought possible. I am so grateful for the new found appreciation of what a life dependent on others can look like. It is still not easy for me sometimes, but I am a work in progress. God blesses me through people daily, that is one of the main gifts fundraising can bring.

I believe that we are called to live in community, to not isolate ourselves or become so independent that we do not need each other, or the help, and love of the Lord. We can learn so much about ourselves and God from communing with others. I am continually amazed at the miracles on earth I see when I just open my eyes to them.

The past few weeks I have been feeling guilty about an aspect of my finances. When I was fundraising this summer I wasn't sure that I would reach my years goal so I kept cutting corners wherever I could. One of the main cuts was my student loans. Last year when I started paying my loans I would put $250-$300 a month toward my loan payment. Before I came here I chose to defer them for the year. 

I have spoken with other missionaries and staff members here and they have worked their loans into their fundraising and are continuing to pay them off this year. Friends here explained to me that the support we are receiving is our monthly paycheck. If I was working a job where a company was paying me I would definitely be making my student loan payments. Without college I would have never been prepared to do this work, so it is only right that I continue to pay for the education that got me here. 

This has been troubling me for a few weeks now and I decided to share it with my followers and supporters in hope that someone can help me work through this. I have been praying about staying here for a 2nd year and I am so excited about that opportunity to continue the work God has called me to here, but I can't imagine deferring my loans for anymore time than I already have. Please keep this situation in your thoughts and prayers if you can. I am definitely praying for some help, support, and answers as well. Thank you again for all the love I receive from each of you. 

Ways to give...
I have set up a PayPal account to make donations easier. If you are interested in supporting me please go to PayPal.com
1. Chose to SEND on the top toolbar
2. Enter my email (Kelseybergstrom524@pointloma.edu) and the amount.
The rest of the process should be explained, but please feel free to email me if you have questions.

Also if you are interested in a Tax Deductible donation you can give through the Universities website LCC Donation Page and fill in the Staff and Faculty section with my name in the memo box.

No comments:

Post a Comment